- BScN University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
- MSC in Preventive Medicine and Environmental Health (emphasis in Industrial Hygiene) from the University of Iowa. Thesis "Oil/Water Sprinkling Intervention in a Swine Confinement Unit" (K. Donham - Advisor).
- MBA from University of Saskatchewan.
- PhD in interdisciplinary studies (emphasis on Occupational Hygiene) from the University of Saskatchewan joint with Colorado State University. Thesis: “Particulate distribution and relationship to endotoxin in poultry operations” (S. Reynolds and N. Koehncke - Advisors)
Professional Roles and Areas of Interest
- Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, Canadian Centre for Health and Safety in Agriculture.
- Associate member of the School of Public Health, College of Nursing and Community Health and Epidemiology.
- Co-PI and Director of the CIHR-STIHR Public Health and the Agricultural Rural Ecosystem Training Program (PHARE)
- Leads the National Agricultural Industrial Hygiene Laboratory
- Epidemiology of rural and agricultural related exposures and respiratory health outcomes
- Kirychuk S (Principal Investigator), Laprise C (Coinvestigator), Dosman J (Co-investigator), Senthilselvan A (Co-investigator). Using the “Omic Sciences” to Understand Respiratory Health Changes in Swine Workers., Department of Medicine: 1st Junior Faculty Grant Competition. Total: $10,000.00 for 2012-08 to 2013-07
- Dosman J (Co-principal Investigator), Abonyi S (Coprincipal Investigator), Episkenew J (Co-principal Investigator), Pahwa P (Co-principal Investigator), Karunanayake C (Co-investigator), Fenton M (Coinvestigator), Gordon J (Co-investigator), Janzen B (Coinvestigator), King M (Co-investigator), Kirychuk S (Coinvestigator), Koehncke N (Co-investigator), Lawson J (Co-investigator), Marchildon G (Co-investigator), McBain L (Co-investigator), Rennie D (Co-investigator), Senthilselvan A (Co-investigator). Assess, Redress, Re-assess: Addressing Disparities in Respiratory Health Among First Nations People., Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Total: $2,395,255.00 for 2011-10 to 2016-09
- Reynolds S (Principal Investigator), Kirychuk S (Coinvestigator). Bioaerosol exposures and models of human responses in dairies and cattle feedlots., National Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (NIOSH). Operating Grant â€“ HICAHS Agricultural Center. Total: $226,925.00 for 2011-09 to 2012-08
- Cockcroft D (Co-principal Investigator), Gordon J (Coprincipal Investigator), Bell S (Co-investigator), Davis B (Co-investigator), Fenton M (Co-investigator), Graham B (Co-investigator), Kirychuk S (Co-investigator), Koehncke N (Co-investigator), Lawson J (Coinvestigator), Marciniuk D (Co-investigator). Airways Research Group, SHRF Phase II Group Development Grant, College of Medicine & Office of Vice President Research. Total: $330,000.00 for 2011 to 2014
- Kirychuk S (Principal Investigator). Respiratory Disease in Workers New to the Saskatchewan Swine Production Industry, Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation (SHRF): New Investigator Establishment Grant. Total: $80,000.00 for 2010-10-01 to 2012-09-30
- Gordon J (Co-principal Investigator), Kirychuk S (Coprincipal Investigator), Duchaine C (Co-investigator), Senthilselvan S (Co-investigator), Pickett W (Coinvestigator), Guernsey J (Co-investigator), Macleod M (Co-investigator), Laprise C (Co-investigator), Potter A (Co-investigator), Morgan D (Co-investigator), Dosman J (Co-investigator), Reeder B (Co-investigator), Bharadwaj L (Co-investigator), Kulig J (Co-investigator), Pahwa P (Co-investigator), Rennie D (Co-investigator), Ebbesen L (Co-investigator). CIHR-STIHR-PHARE: Strategic Training Initiative in Health Research: Public Health and the Agricultural Rural Ecosystem, Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Total: $1,950,000.00 for 2009 to 2014
- Kirychuk SP, Koehncke NK. Chapter 24. Environmental and Occupational Health. In: Leeseberg-Stamler L, Yiu L, editors. Community Health Nursing: A Canadian Perspective. 3rd. Toronto, Canada: Pearson Canada; 2012. p. pp. 375-389.
- Kirychuk SP, Sigsgaard T, Epp T, Koehncke N, Olaniyi A. Dusts and other particulate matter and other biological exposures. In: Safety and health in agriculture. CH-1211, Geneva 22, Switzerland: International Labour Organization (ILO); 2011. p. 150-179.
- Just N, Blais Lecours P, Marcoux-Voiselle M, Kirychuk S, Veillette M, Singh B, Duchaine C. Archaeal characterization of bioaerosols from cage-housed and floor-housed poultry operations. Canadian Journal of Microbiology. 2013 Jan;59(1):46-50. Epub 2012 Nov 6.
- Reynolds, SJ, Nonnenmann MW, Basinas I, Davidson M, Elfman L, Gordon J, Kirychuk S, Reed S, Schaeffer J, Schenker M, Schlunssen V, Sigsgaard T. Systematic review of Respiratory Health Among Diary Workers. Journal of Agromedicine. 2013 Jul;18(3):219-43. Epub 2013 Jul 11.
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Hagel L, Janzen B, Pickett W, Rennie D, Senthilselvan A, Lawson J, Kirychuk S, Dosman JA. The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study: an application of a Population Health Framework to Understand Respiratory Health Outcomes.. Biomed Central. 2012 Aug;5:400.
- Just N, Letourneau V, Kirychuk SP, Singh B, Duchaine C. (2012) Potentially pathogenic bacteria and antimicrobial resistance in bioaerosols from cagehoused and floor-housed poultry operations. Annals of Occupational Hygiene. 2012;56(4):440-449.
- Just N, Kirychuk S, Gilber Y, Letourneau V, Veillette M, Singh B, Duchaine C. Bacterial diversity characterization from cage-housed and floor-housed poultry operations. Environmental Research. 2011 May;111(4):492-8. Epub 2011 Feb 1.
- Siggers J, Kirychuk SP, Willson P, Lemay S. Size distribution of particulate and associated endotoxin and bacteria in traditional swine barn rooms and rooms sprinkled with oil. Journal of Agromedicine. 2011;16:271-279.
- Kirychuk SP, Reynolds SJ, Koehncke NK, Lawson J, Willson P, Senthilselvan A, Marciniuk D, Classen HL, Crowe T, Just N, Schneberger D, Dosman JA. (2010) Endotoxin and dust at respirable and non-respirable particle sizes are not consistent between cage and floor-housed poultry operations. Annals of Occupational Hygiene. 2010 Jun 10:1-9.
- Senthilselvan A, Chénard L, Grover, V, Kirychuk SP, Hagel L, Ulmer K, Hurst TS, Dosman J. (2010) Excess longitudinal decline in lung function in grain farmers. Journal of Agromedicine. 2010;15(2):157-165.
- Senthilselvan A, Dosman JA, Chénard L, Burch LH, Predicala B, Sorowski R, Schneberger D, Hurst T, Kirychuk SP, Gerdts V, Cormier Y, Rennie DC, Schwartz DA. (2009) TLR4 variants reduce airway response in humans at high endotoxin levels in a swine facility. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009 May;123(5):1034-40. Epub 2009 Apr 14.
- Kirychuk SP, Reynolds SJ, Koehncke NK, Nakatsu J, Mehaffy J. (2009) Comparison of particle bounce and endotoxin assay in Marple cascade samplers with and without impaction grease. Journal of Agromedicine. 2009;14(2):242-9. Epub 2009 Apr 1.
- Rennie D, Lawson JA, Kirychuk SP, Pederson C, Willson P, Senthilselvan A, Cockcroft DW. (2008) Assessment of Endotoxin Levels in the Home and Current Asthma and Wheeze in School Age Children. Indoor Air. 2008;18:447-453.
- Kirychuk SP, Dosman JA, Reynolds SJ, Willson P, Senthilselvan A, Feddes JJR, Classen HL, Guenter W. ( 2006) Total Dust and Endotoxin in Poultry Operations: Comparison Between Cage and Floor Housing and Respiratory Effects in Workers. JOEM. 2006;48(7):741-748.
- Dosman JA, Lawson JA, Kirychuk SP, Cormier Y, Biem J, Koehncke N. (2004) Occupational Asthma in newly employed workers in intensive swine confinement facilities. European Respiratory Journal. 2004;24(4):698-702.
- Kirychuk SP, Senthilselvan A, Dosman JA, Jurio V, Feddes JJR, Willson P, Classen H, Reynolds SJ, Guenter W, Hurst TS. (2003) Respiratory symptoms and lung function in poultry confinement workers in western Canada. Can Respir J. 2003;10(7):375-380.